06 September 2007

organic produce delivery

I think my place in hell has been reserved. You know, in that special area set aside for smug San Francisco-area people. This morning I received my first delivery from Planet Organics, and I love it. I haven't figured out yet if it's saved me any time or money, and I'm not sure I care. It's so convenient. And it does help with the shopping and meal prep organizing that I'm trying to bring under control.

I'm not particularly concerned with organic and non-organic. My concern is delicious produce that's affordable. I spend a lot of time pouring over every piece of fruit I buy, whether it's from Safeway, Whole Foods, or farmers' market. With Planet Organics, someone else spends their time picking the good stuff for me and the price is about the same as what I'm paying elsewhere.

And I'm not so terribly busy that I don't have the time to go shopping. I can do it. I just don't like to. Why not get a little package delivered to my door every week?

They offer some specialty grocery products, so I can treat us to the occassional prosciutto or fancy cheese.

You can choose a variety of delivery options, such as all fruit, all veggies, 2/3 fruit, or half-n-half. You can set up a standard order and be surprised with each delivery or you can specify exactly what you want from their available stock that week. It comes in a reusable plastic tote box with minimal packing materials. After you've put your groceries away, throw the packing materials back in the tote and give it back to the delivery person next time.

I like knowing what I'm going to get so I can plan meals. However, I didn't know basil would be out of stock until I opened my tote today, and I'd planned several meals around fresh basil. I wanted one more week of summertime basil! I guess I'll live, but I haven't figured out yet what to do with all the tomatoes I'd gotten to eat with all the basil.

1 comment:

Serge said...

One thing's for sure though: You definitely get to support your local farmers when you opt for organic food delivery.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails