17 September 2007

Bob's Red Mill Hearty Whole Grain Bread

Getting enough whole grains on the gluten-free diet is a concern of mine. I can't just walk into any supermarket and buy whole grain breads and cereals. Everyone thinks of wheat when they think of whole grains. So when I'm eating grains, how do I know they're the whole grains that are good for me?

When I noticed Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Hearty Whole Grain Bread mix I decided to give it a try. I like his Wonderful Sandwich Bread. Bob's bread mixes seem to work better than any others in my bread machine. I was placing an order anyway so decided to go for it.

I was skeptical when I first openned the package. It smelled funny. I checked the ingredients, and they include onion powder. They also include cocoa, which accounts for the darkness of the mix. I put my trust in Bob and threw everything in my bread machine. (You need water, eggs, and cider vinegar. The mix comes with yeast.)

I was concerned during the mixing and kneading because the dough stayed very wet and blobby, not forming the "dough ball" it's supposed to. And once it entered the baking cycle it didn't smell as pleasing as baked bread is supposed to smell.

The bread is actually pretty good. It's moist, not crumbly. It's a savory bread and with all the caraway seed it tastes very much like rye bread. I've been enjoying it simply with butter alongside all my dinners. It seem like such a luxury to have a slice of bread with butter every day!

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails