24 October 2007

pierogi part 2

pierogi!

The pierogi were a success! (See also pierogi part 1.)

We used the Homade Pasta recipe in Bette Hagman's The Gluten-Free Gourmet Revised Edition. This is the basic recipe. For making pierogi or raviolli, triple it. We found that we got about 3 dozen pierogi.
Ingredients:
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
1/3 cup Cornstarch
2 Tb Potato Starch
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 Tb Xanthan Gum
2 large Eggs
1 Tb Vegetable Oil

Combine flours, salt, and xanthan gum. Beat eggs lightly and add oil. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir. This will feel much like pastry dough. Work together into a firm ball. Knead a minute or two.

The recipe in the book and online give further instructions depending on the different kinds of pastas you could make. For the purpose of making pierogi, you'll want to work with small handfuls of dough. Roll it out, with just the minimum amount of flour necessary to keep it from sticking. Too much flour will toughen the dough and keep it from being as sticky as it needs to be. Roll it out to about 1/8 of an inch. Use a biscuit cutter or glass or jar lip to cut circles about 4 inches in diameter. Keep rolling dough until you've made as many circles as it will yield.

Use your fingertips to wet the edges of each circle. Let the water sit for few minutes, making a nice, sticky edge. (By the time you get to the last circle, the first one should be just sticky enough. Spoon some filling into the center of each circle. Fold the circle in half, pinching and crimping the edges until they are sealed tight.

Any that you are cooking right away, set aside. Any that you will be freezing, place on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer until they are dry. Once they're no longer sticky you can put them in freezer bags.

To cook, place pierogi in a large pot of salted boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes (and hope you sealed them tightly enough!). Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve with hot melted butter.

Our three different fillings were delicious. The potato and cheese tasted just like I remember them from the pre-gf days. The squash ones were a little like pumpkin empanadas. And the rice and sausage were like... something yummy stuffed with rice and sausage.

5 comments:

Sassybigbuttbeauty said...

My MIL is here for Christmas and we are making pierogi to go with all our Polish fare for Christmas Eve. She's used to making these with her mother and they use an old school recipe that has been handed down. She is in complete awe of this dough and this recipe. It was SO much easier to make and they've turned out beautifully.

We used the biscuit maker from Pampered Chef to cut and seal these little sweeties, and not one has burst in the water.

Thanks for the recipe...I'm glad I can keep the Polish food tradition while not compromising my health!

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad the recipe was useful for you! I have many memories of those big Christmas Eve dinners. In fact, I'm sure my cousins in Poland are in their kitchen right now preparing their pierogi for tomorrow.

This recipe is different from what my mom remembers making with her mother and grandmother, but everyone agrees that it's just as tasty. My grandmother pointed out that the peasants would have used whatever ingredients they had on hand, so the recipe was never meant to be set in stone. This is our new family tradition recipe.

Merry Gluten-Free Christmas!

Cookiepress said...

GRRRREAT Recipe. I make pierogis the flour way and they taste just like them. Unfortunately the dough is not as easy to work with. Practice makes perfect

Anonymous said...

I used my teflon rolling pin and silpat mat for rolling these out and had no problems. I also used the pampered chef sealer and none have burst on me yet. Thanks for giving me back my pierogis.

Unknown said...

I found you via Pinterest and used your wonderful blog as as jumping off point for making GF pierogis. Thanks so much! Mine were fabulous!!! My family loved them. I linked to your blog too for the recipe. My blog is http://happyhearts.typepad.com/hetherington_happenings/

Thanks, Laurie

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails