26 October 2007

cranberry zucchini muffins

Are those silicon baking things supposed to steam and smell like melting plastic about 5 minutes after you put them in the oven? I didn't think so. But nothing appeared to be melting or burning, so I decided to let the baking run its course.

I'm still getting some good, locally grown, inexpensive summer squash, so why not one more go-round with the zucchini quick bread recipe I tried a few months ago? I used dried cranberries this time and decided to go with muffin form instead of a loaf of bread.
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter, melted, or oil (I used canola oil)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups zucchini, peeled and shredded
1 cup yellow raisins (I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup plain nuts, chopped (I used pecans)
1 cup rice flour (I used white rice flour)
1/2 cup millet flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 envelope (.25 oz or 7 g) gelatin

Preheat oven to 350. [Place cupcake liners in muffin pans.] Beat eggs. Add honey, butter or oil, vanilla, grated zucchini, [dried cranberries], and nuts to beaten eggs. Sift together flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt, and gelatin. Fold dry ingredients into liquids--this will keep it light (stirring it all gently works too). Pour into prepared pans. Bake for about [15] minutes. (Info in brackets is what I modified for making muffins instead of the quick bread this is the recipe for in the book The Best-Ever Wheat- and Gluten-Free Baking Book.)

I think that muffins are great for this recipe and the cranberries are better than the apricots I used last time. Instead of a dense, rich bread, I have tasty little pops of muffiny goodness. They are moist, but not too moist. And they aren't too sweet, which makes them perfect for breakfast. They aren't terribly attractive though. I think that's a trade-off when dealing with homemade muffins. They taste 1,000 times better than something you'll buy in a package, but let's say they, um, have rustic charm in the looks department.

cranberry zucchini muffins

The steaming muffin pans seemed to not be a problem. The muffins taste fine. And if they are poisonous, well, then at least I'll go with a tummy full of yummy muffins.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails