15 December 2007

diablo oriental foods

Why oh why did I wait so long to check out Diablo Oriental Foods? It's right around the corner from my home and all the times I mused about making my own maki... I could have made my dreams come true so easily.

This is a small market. The selection isn't stellar, but what they do have is some very specific Japanese food ingredients that you'll be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. They have a small selection of Asian vegetables, some of which I'd never seen before. They also have some fresh meats and fish. The prices are decent. Some of the jars of stuff seemed pricey and that could have to do with weight and importing. But my needs were few and I shopped smartly so for $11 I bought a mini-steamer for veggies in the microwave, a bag of chunky sea salt for my salt grinder, a shaker of furikake (both the furiakake and sea salt are probably large enough to last for 6 months, since they aren't things we use every day), and a pack of nori with 10 large sheets. They have a small selection of houseware, including some bento supplies, but that's some of the stuff that seemed more expensive.

I could have gone crazy buying quite a bit more. But I walked there, plus until we know exactly when we're moving and what our packing strategy will be we're trying to curb purchases.

Since it's not easy for me to get to Ichiban Kan or Daiso, Diablo Oriental Foods will have to satisfy my craving for the time being. It's not the same, but it's a taste.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails